I planned this easy Halloween menu with short courses, knowing that there would be frequent interruptions from trick-or-treaters. It features the fruits and flavors of the season: pomegranate, squash, nuts, and pumpkin. Almost all the dishes were store-bought, hence the “pre-fab” in this post’s title. I cooked a little bit but wasn’t worn out from preparing a big meal from scratch mid-week. And, although there are quite a few courses in this feast, we served small portions to avoid that overly-stuffed feeling after a huge meal.
Meal Prep Plan:
- Put whipped topping in the fridge to thaw
- Make the Cinnamon Pecans and spread them on wax paper to cool. Set up the cheese course.
- Dice the onion and make the Mushroom Sauce. Take it off the burner after it thickens.
- Make the first toast, and serve the cheese course.
- Stir the sour cream into the Mushroom Sauce. Turn the heat on low.
- Microwave the Turkey Meatballs according to package directions, and add them to the sauce. Simmer on low until heated through.
- Make the second toast, and serve the meatballs (3 is a big serving).
- Heat cups of soup in the microwave.
- Make the third toast, and serve the soup.
Finally, serve pumpkin pie with whipped topping (if you’re not too full. We were.
Seasonal hint: A slice of pumpkin pie and a cup of coffee makes a great fall breakfast).
Toast with Sparkling Pomegranate Juice from Trader Joe’s before each course. Its ruby-red color looks very elegant in champagne flutes.
Red seedless grapes
Spreadable cheese (J L Kraft, Roasted Red Pepper and White Cheddar Cheese spread)
Water crackers with sesame seeds
Cinnamon Pecans (made in the microwave)
Turkey Meatballs (Trader Joe’s)
You could add green beans or a tossed salad to round out this course.)
Butternut Squash soup (Safeway Select, in the deli area)
Pumpkin Pie (store-bought) with whipped topping