Knitting, Project #114
Playing around with the pillbox shape constructed top-down. The crochet cast-off is my new favorite finishing technique; it creates a bind-off that is just right, not too tight. Making this hat was also a chance to work through some of my Lamb’s Pride Bulky stash. I don’t know to whom it will go yet. That often happens when I make hats. Eventually, I will find the owner…the right person for the hat always turns up.
Date completed 12/13/06
- Main Color (A): 2.8 oz or about 90 yds — Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Bulky (85% Wool, 15% Mohair), 4 oz/113 g, 125 yds/ball. Color: Jack’s Plum.
- Novelty Accent (B): 45 yds — Crystal Palace Fizz Stardust, 86% polyester/14% Lurex, 50 g/1.75 oz — 120 yds).
Knitting Needles: Size 10.5 (6.5 mm) double-pointed needles
Crochet Hook: US Size J-10 (6 mm) crochet hook for casting off
Gauge: 3.5 sts = 1 inch in St st
Pattern: Inspired by ideas from both a pattern by Linda Daniels in Knit Hats! and Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron
Finished size Medium, 20 to 21″ – 70 sts
Approximate yarn cost: $8.85
(A): Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Bulky, $8/skein: $5.60
(B): Eyelash yarn, $9/ball: $3.25
- Changed yarn, gauge, and shaping sot that hat is now constructed top-down.
- Hat must be a multiple of 10 sts for crown shaping.
- Hat is about 5″ tall with rolled-under brim.