Cook’s Notes: You can easily make this a vegan meal by using soy cheese in the sweet potatoes. Leftover creamed spinach or saag paneer also go great with this meal. The trio of red beans, orange sweet potato, and yellow rice in the bowl is really beautiful. Combine leftover red beans and sweet potatoes to make tasty burrito filling. Curry dishes are a natural match to the rice as well.
- Upscale Yellow Rice and Red Beans (Spiced Coconut Rice and Moosewood Red Beans)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cheese: Very simple. Two ingredients: 2 sweet potatoes (golden yams) and 1 c shredded cheese (I used a blend of Colby and Monterey Jack)
- Pierce 2 sweet potatoes (golden yams) all over with a fork. Microwave, using the Potato setting (this took more than 11 minutes in an 1100-watt microwave).
- While the sweet potatoes cook, start the rice.
- After you turn the rice down to simmer, start the beans.
- When the potatoes are cooked through and very tender, carefully remove the peel. Scoop the cooked sweet potato into a bowl and mash with 1 c shredded cheese. Add ground black pepper to taste.