Cook’s Notes: A serving size is 1/2 cup of pasta with sauce.
1 T butter
1 T minced garlic
1 T all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cups milk (2% or skim)
1 oz cream cheese
1.25 cups (2.5 oz) grated parmesan cheese
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine, cooked without salt or fat
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in flour.
Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk until blended; cook 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Stir in cream cheese; cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until it melts. Pour over hot cooked fettuccine (or other pasta); toss well to coat.
Top pasta with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and pepper.
- Add 3 cups cooked asparagus, 1/2 cup blue cheese, and 2 T toasted walnuts to the batch of pasta
- Add 1 to 1.5 cups of any of these cooked veggies to each serving: onion, peas, broccoli, carrot, mushrooms, spinach, snow peas
- Add 3 oz cooked shrimp, chicken, or meatballs to each serving
- Pasta (1/2 c cooked) topped with 3 oz salmon and 1.5 cups sautéed vegetables
- Lunch box meal: Pasta (1/2 c) with sautéed veggies and chicken, side salad, small apple, and 1 c milk
Sources include Cooking Light magazine and 101 Great Lowfat Pasta Dishes by Margaret Martinez.