Cook’s Notes: Nutritionist Joy Bauer inspired me to add broccoli to chicken and bean burritos. I scaled up a single burrito recipe to make a batch of burritos — however, this recipe makes a lot of burritos. Using 1/2 cup filling per tortilla, we rolled 10 burritos and had 2 cups of filling left. Luckily, the combination of chicken, beans, vegetables, and cheese is delicious.
A 15-oz can of black beans yields about 1.5 cups beans. We opened 3 cans of beans, rinsed them, measured out 3 cups, and had about 1/4 cup of beans left.
Use any vegetables you like. Recommended vegetables for Bean & Veggie Burritos from many other recipes and menus include bell pepper, broccoli and red pepper, carrot, mushrooms, onion, yellow squash, diced tomato, and zucchini.
- 14 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (yellow squash, green beans, carrots, onion, and red bell pepper): yields about 2 cups cooked vegetables
- 11 oz bag frozen broccoli and red pepper: yields about 2-1/3 cups cooked vegetables
- 3 cups cooked black beans (rinsed)
- 2 cups (16 oz by weight) cooked rotisserie chicken, about half the chicken
- 2 cups (8 oz package) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa, any kind
- 10 whole-wheat tortillas
Cook the frozen vegetables according to package instructions. Place vegetables in a large bowl.
Open 3 cans of black beans, rinse them, and measure out 3 cups of beans into a separate bowl. Heat the beans in the microwave for 1 minute on High until heated through. Add beans to vegetables.
Skin chicken. Take the chicken off the bone and cut into chunks. Add chicken to the bowl with the vegetables and beans.
Add cheese and salsa; stir to combine well.
Place 1/2 cup filling on each tortilla. Fold in sides and roll up.
Freeze any remaining filling for another use.
Joy Bauer recommends individual burritos made with just 1 whole wheat tortilla, “unlimited steamed broccoli”, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup diced chicken, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, and 2 T guacamole or salsa.
SMALLER BATCH of broccoli burritos:
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken (about 4 cups diced chicken)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-1/3 cups cooked broccoli and red pepper (11 oz bag frozen)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (half of an 8-oz package)
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 large whole-wheat tortillas (such as Mission brand Multi-Grain Wraps), or 10-inch burrito size or 12-inch size
Use 1 cup filling per tortilla: fold sides and roll into burritos.