It is my pleasure to share this pattern with the craft community. If you make one of these items, I would love to see a picture of it. This free pattern is not in the public domain.
YES: This pattern is free for your personal, individual use. Print out one copy of the pattern to work with, or save this pattern to disk for your personal use. The finished items that you make from this pattern are yours: feel free to keep them, sell them, donate to charity, or give them away. You may use this pattern more than once.
NO: You must not reformat the pattern for commercial use, and you must not sell or redistribute the pattern. You must not post the pattern or its accompanying photos and/or illustrations on another Web site.
Sharing: Everyone who uses this pattern needs to get their own copy of the pattern directly from this Web site. You are encouraged to share the link to the pattern. Any usage beyond this must be negotiated with the designer. Thank you for your help and your respect of copyright law.
Knitting, project #147. Completed 12/27/2007.
Yarn: Super bulky yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn. 6 oz/170 g, 108 yd/98 m.
(CC) 1 ball #402, Wheat: 86% acrylic, 10% wool, 4% rayon
(MC) 1 ball #122, Taupe: 80% acrylic, 20% wool
Needles US 13 (9 mm) double-pointed needles (DPN)
Gauge 2.25 sts and 3 rows = 1 inch in St st (9 St sts and 12 rows = 4″)
Pattern: Adapted from the Lion yarn label, a standard sock chart, and Anne Budd’s sock chart
Finished size: Men’s medium with extra-wide width
Length of foot (heel to toe): 9.5 inches. Ball of the foot: 13 inches
Note: K2TOG slants this way (/) — SSK does this (\)
Ball of foot (13) x sts per inch (2.25) = 29.25
Make it divisible by 4: 28 sts in sock body
Cuff and leg
With CC (Wheat), cast on 28 sts using Long Tail method. Join circularly, taking care not to twist sts.
- Work 5 rounds in K1, P1 ribbing.
- Knit 2 rounds
Change to color MC (Taupe). Knit 4 rounds.
Heel flap over 14 sts
K 7 sts. Turn. P 14 sts. Turn.
Flap — Work in stockinette for 3 inches: K 14 (RS) and P 14 (WS), end with purl row.
Turn heel over 14 sts
- Row 1: K5, K2TOG, K7, turn
- Row 2: P5, P2TOG, P4, turn. Leave 2 sts unworked on the needle.
- Row 3: K3, K2TOG, K3, turn. Leave 2 sts unworked on the needle.
- Row 4: P3, P2TOG, P2, P2TOG, turn
- Row 5: K2, K2TOG, K2, K2TOG, K1
- Row 6: Purl across remaining 7 sts
Knit across 7 heel sts. Pick up 8 gusset sts on side of heel flap (pick up through both loops of the edge st).
Knit across 14 instep sts.
Pick up 9 gusset sts from heel flap. 38 sts total.
Rearrange sts on needles as follows (split the heel sts):
- Needle 1, heel/flap — 4 heel sts and 8 gusset sts
- Needle 2, instep — 14 instep sts
- Needle 3, heel/flap — 3 heel sts and 9 gusset sts
Each decrease round removes 2 sts:
- Needle 1: heel/flap — K to last 3 sts, K2TOG, K1
- Needle 2, instep — knit across
- Needle 3, heel/flap — K1, SSK, K to end
Repeat these 2 rounds 5 times until 28 sts remain:
1) Round 1: Decrease
2) Round 2: K all sts.
Needle 1 and 3 have 7 sts. Needle 2 (instep) has 14 sts.
Work even until sock comes up to the base of the toes, about 2″ less than the desired finished length. 10 – 14 minimum rows suggested. 6.75 inches total length.
Toe Shaping (10 rounds – 2.25″)
Each decrease round removes 4 sts:
- Needle 1: K to last 3 sts: K2TOG, K1
- Needle 2: K1, SSK, K to last 3 sts, K2TOG, K1
- Needle 3: K1, SSK, K to end
Repeat these 2 rounds 4 times until 16 sts remain:
1) Round 1: Decrease to 28, 24, 20, 16 sts
2) Round 2: K all sts
Work 2 more decrease rounds: 8 sts remain; toe is about 3.75″ across). Knit last 2 sts.
Graft toe – Kitchener method
The yarn is at the side of the sock. Cut the yarn, leaving a 10 to 12″ tail. Move your yarn under the needle. Place the heel sts (Ndl 1 and 3) on 1 needle.
Set-Up 1: First stitch — front needle — as if to purl and pull it through, leaving the stitch on the needle.
Set-Up 2: First stitch — back needle — as if to knit, and pull it through, leaving the stitch on the needle.
- Step 1: First stitch — front needle —knit, slip it OFF
- Step 2: Next stitch — front needle —purl, leave it on
- Step 3: First stitch — back needle —purl, slip it OFF
- Step 4: Next stitch — back needle —knit, leave it on
Repeat steps 1-4, pausing to tighten up the stitches now and then until all the stitches are worked. The last two stitches remaining on the needle require you to perform step 1 then step 3.