Knitting, project #151. Completed 2/17/2008.
Worn like a tam.
Worn as a slouchy hat (similar to snood or a Rasta tam).
Yarn: 198 yds worsted yarn — 1 skein Malabrigo Worsted (pure merino wool from Uruguay),
3.5 oz, 216 yds. Color: Velvet Grapes.
Needles: US 8 (5 mm) DPNs
Gauge: About 5 sts and 7 rounds = 1 inch in St st (yarn thickness can vary)
Pattern adapted from these sources:
- Ann Budd tam methodology from The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns, but reversed for top-down shaping.
- Crown: Top-down shaping modified from the Mossy Hat pattern by Wendi Dunlop
- Crown and inspiration from Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron
- Mohair Tam (my project #025), instructions from a pattern by Elizabeth’s Fiber & Yarn Store, but reversed for top-down shaping
- Inspiration from Craftster.org, user how_german
- Bind off tip from Kristin Spurklund, The Knitting Man(ual)
Finished size: Adult Large to XL, 22 inches
Leftover yarn: About 18.4 yds
Approximate cost: $12 per skein at Webs
Notes: 5-inch crown shaping. Hat is very soft and floppy.