Knitting and crochet, project 163. Completed 8/25/2008.
Project notes: Thanks to Woolly, I have a new favorite hat pattern. This was given to a friend, who wears it with the brim folded.
Yarn: 1 skein Ironstone Yarns – Colorchanges (53% Wool, 47% Acrylic), 100 yds / 50 g. Color 180.
Yarn gauge: 10 sts = 3″ on #11 needle
Hook and Needles: US 9 (5.5 mm) needles and I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
Gauge: About 4 sts and 6 rows = 1 inch in St st
Pattern — Adapted from several sources:
• Ribbed Beanie by Woolly Wormhead (http://woollywormhead.com)
• Crochet decrease round from the book Knitting Loves Crochet
• Crab stitch directions: http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa112997.htm
Finished size: Average to larger adult. 7.5″ long (knit portion 5″), 18″ around
Leftover yarn: 18 inches
Approximate cost: $7.59 for 1 ball of yarn
- For a smaller hat: cast on 72 sts.
- Alternate hat: Knit until hat measures 5″, work decrease rounds for top of hat. Work crochet decrease. Work sc for 6 rounds.
- Omit crochet: Knit rib until hat measures 6 (6.5) inches. Add 3 inches for folded brim. Work decrease rounds to shape the top.