Cook’s Note: Some ideas for autumn lunches that are meat-free.
- Pumpkin chili (with onion, red bell pepper, and beans) and cornbread
- Spiral pasta with pumpkin sauce and a side salad
- Pita sandwich with oven-roasted vegetables (new potatoes, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and yellow squash) and hummus. Optional: Side salad
- Spiral pasta salad with cooked vegetables and canned beans (grated carrots, peas, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green beans, and canned white beans). Toss with Sheila’s Balsamic Salad Dressing.
- Superfoods Salad: This is a great opportunity to use leftover roasted vegetables from the pita hummus sandwich. Start with 2 cups baby spinach. Add 1/3 cup canned beans or chickpeas, rinsed. Add in 1 to 1.5 cups assorted raw or cooked vegetables, such as 10 grape tomatoes, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, diced scallion, sliced beets, and roasted zucchini (diced). Pick 3 add-ins (any combination): 2 T roasted and hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), 1 T ground flaxseed, and 2 T diced avocado. Toss with 2 T salad dressing (any flavor).
- Chickpea salad (try this with a reduced amount of vinegar), brown rice, and cooked Sicilian spinach.