The cookout on Independence Day is almost an American cliche. You might also consider making the barbecue chicken in your slow cooker. Here’s a recommended menu for your festivities that emphasizes fruits and vegetables. Recipes that are not on this blog are marked as (link).
- Appetizer: Raw cucumber slices, red bell pepper strips, and baby carrots with honey-mustard dip: mix 1/2 cup light mayo, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard with salt and pepper to taste. (Dip recipe from Everyday Food, June 2008.)
- Grilled food for the main dish: Barbecue chicken, turkey or veggie burgers, or hot dogs (any kind)
- Starchy side dish (pick one): Potato salad, baked beans, or corn with herbed butter
- Salad: Cole slaw, broccoli slaw, or mixed green salad with dressing
- Dessert: Cut-up fruit (such as watermelon cubes, banana slices, and blueberries), Supernatural Brownies (link), Easy Lemon Squares (link), other bar cookies, or ice cream