Cook’s Notes: Here is an easy menu for entertaining vegetarian friends in the summer. This menu assumes that your guests may eat dairy foods and grains (gluten).
Appetizers (all store-bought):
- Mixed olives
- Baby carrots
- Cheese plate (1 fresh or soft cheese, 1 semi-hard cheese, and 1 full flavored or blue cheese. Example: Brie, cheddar, and blue cheese crumbles)
- Rice crackers or baguette slices
- Recipe to try: Tomato, avocado, and goat cheese spread (see T.A.G. Bruschetta recipe)
Create a simple salad from leafy raw greens, baby spinach, and assorted vegetables, allowing guests to add their own toppings from separate bowls.
- Light vinaigrette dressing is easy to make: Combine 2 Tbsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mix well and add 3 Tbsp olive oil. Mix again. Makes 1/2 cup dressing.
Pasta with vegetables and tomatoes. (If you are also serving meat-eaters, you can place additions such as cooked sausage, chicken, or meatballs on the side.)
- Suggestion: Combine the salad and pasta courses by serving Spinach Tortellini Salad
- Pasta recipe to try: Yam and Feta Pasta (recipe by Abud)
- Fresh fruit (such as sliced organic peaches and strawberries) and dark chocolate
- Optional: Ice cream