Cook’s notes: This vegetarian dinner is easy to assemble and absolutely delicious. The colors on the plate are beautiful together. You may even be too full for dessert!
- Double corn muffins
- Balsamic black beans: Rinse and drain 1 can (15 oz) black beans. Heat in a pan with 1/4 tsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, and 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Stir the beans, and as they warm through, mash them with the back of the spoon. When all the beans are mashed, add water as needed to keep the consistency smooth.
- Fajita vegetables: sauté sliced sweet onions, sliced mushrooms, and diced red bell peppers with a packet of fajita seasoning. The seasoning packet was mixed with water to make a marinade/sauce for the vegetables.
- Baby spinach steamed with minced garlic and lemon juice
- Diced avocado
- Optional bean toppings: fresh salsa and sour cream
- Dessert: Slices of fresh pineapple and mandarin orange sorbet
Serving suggestion: Use a shallow bowl for serving. Break a few mini corn muffins onto the bowl. Ladle the fajita vegetables over the muffins. Spoon beans and spinach next to the vegetables. Top the black beans with diced avocado.
Breakfast from the leftovers: The next day, use any leftover fajita vegetables in scrambled eggs with cheese. Heat up remaining corn muffins to eat with the eggs. Serve bowls of Greek yogurt with blueberries, the sliced pineapple, a drizzle of honey, and a handful of toasted almonds.