Knitting, project 247. Completed 5/23/2010
by CD Cooper, CDC Designs
Adapted from information in multiple sources, including
- Budd, Anne. The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Clinical Growth Charts > Infant head circumference
MADE FOR Charity
SIZE: Newborn (12″ head). Will fit up to 15″ head. Since this hat is a little short, it’s cuter on a newborn than a toddler.
Yarn: 0.8 oz, 34.3 yds, 1/4 ball bulky weight yarn (category 5):
Berroco Comfort Chunky (50% Super Fine Nylon, 50% Super Fine Acrylic). 3.5 oz / 100 g. 150 yds / 138 m. Color: 5761, Lovage (green)
Knitting Needles: Size US 10 (6 mm) double-pointed knitting needles (DPN)
4 sts per inch
I am trying out different shaping methods for baby hats.
This is hat #3 in a series — My favorite.
- Anderson decrease method – Hat 1: weighs 1.1 oz, 6″ tall, 6.5″ across bottom width
- Keeys decrease method – Hat 2: weighs 1.1 oz, 6.5″ tall, 6.5″ across bottom width
- Budd decrease method – Hat 3: weighs 0.9 oz, 5″ tall, 6.5″ across bottom width
One ball of this yarn is enough to make 3 hats (allow 50 yards each)