I went to a delightful open house last night for the holidays hosted by two good friends. The theme was “Hot Cider: Spicy or Spiked”, and the buffet of finger foods to go with the cider was so lovely. My friends are graciously allowing me to document the menu for future reference. He said everything was simple to make, and I loved how the variety of food could meet everyone’s needs, whether they were vegan, raw-food, gluten-free, or omnivores. The snacks were mix-and-match, with plenty of vegetables. It was so refreshing to be at a holiday party where the menu was so much more than sugared items.
Here’s a shot of the buffet table, decorated with pine boughs and pine cones:
- Hot cider on the stove, with cinnamon sticks and apple slices
- Cider garnishes: Butter, brown sugar, additional cinnamon sticks, apple slices, cloves, and spiced rum (guests could mix and match their fixings)
- Cookie plate: Gingerbread cookies and one more kind (both homemade)
- Chocolate plate: Pistachio bark and brownies
- Raw almond balls
- Assorted crackers (2 kinds), sliced pumpernickel bread, and sugared almonds
- Sliced pear, crystallized ginger, and dried cranberries
- 3 dips/spreads: Balsamic fig, hummus, and ranch dip
- Raw vegetable plate: peapods, celery, cherry tomatoes, and carrots
- Seafood platter: Shrimp with cocktail sauce, sliced cucumbers, salmon, and asparagus, and a wedge of soft cheese with herbs
- Bowls of dark chocolate covered almonds were also placed in the living room.