I am making an effort to eat more vegetables as part of improving my overall wellness. This salad has about 3 cups of greens in it (4 vegetable servings) and lean protein. Trader Joe’s sells individually wrapped goat cheeses in 1-oz. portions, which are perfect for this meal.
About the greens: 3 oz. (or 85 g) of lettuce takes up a lot of room! It’s about 3 cups (or 3 large handfuls) by volume, but don’t try and pack it into a measuring cup. Use a scale to weigh it instead.
Toss together the following ingredients in a large container:
- 3 oz. baby romaine lettuce, by weight (or 2 oz. mixed baby greens and 1 oz. baby spinach)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced (about 1/3 of the cucumber)
- 4 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 oz. goat cheese
Pick one protein source:
- 3.5 to 4 oz. grilled chicken (boneless and skinless)
- 5 oz can chunk light tuna in water, drained (about 3.5 oz drained weight)
- 1/2 cup canned beans, rinsed and drained
Combine all ingredients except the dressing in a large container. Toss with up to 2 Tablespoons Italian dressing or vinaigrette just before eating.
Eat with 1 serving fruit.