Cook’s notes: It’s the season for pumpkin spice, and pumpkin everything. I was curious about combining these elements with classic treats. This recipe combines several versions I found online. They were very popular at work.
Yield: 24 rectangular pieces. You could also cut 2-inch squares for bigger treats.
3 Tablespoons butter
1 package (10 oz) miniature marshmallows
1/8 cup pumpkin puree (plain, not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
In microwave-safe bowl, heat butter for 45 seconds on High to melt. Stir in marshmallows.
Heat on High for 45 seconds. Stir.
Heat on High for 45 seconds. Stir well. Marshmallows should be completed melted and smooth. Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
Allow marshmallow mixture to cool 20 minutes to room temperature.
Stir in cereal until everything is combined and cereal is well coated.
Lightly coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray. Using wax paper or parchment paper, press the cereal mixture into the pan.
Let cool completely, and cut into pieces.
Notes from Kellog’s:
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
- Diet, reduced calorie, or tub margarine is not recommended.
- Best if served the same day.
- Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container.
- To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.