Cook’s notes: This excellent recipes uses a full can (15 oz) of plain pumpkin puree. The enchiladas are hearty, and leftovers freeze well.
I omitted the jalapeno and red pepper flakes. We like our Mexican-style food on the mild side, and the 2 Tablespoons of chili powder provided enough heat.
We did not need all 16 corn tortillas, but we used at least 12 of them.
For pumpkin sour cream sauce:
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup good quality tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans
- 2 cups good quality tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16-20 corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups reduced-fat Mexican or Colby Jack cheese