Cook’s notes: This pizza was amazing, and everything was made from scratch: the crust, the sauce, and the toppings. The crust recipe uses Greek yogurt and had tastes amazing (not like yogurt at all). We ate leftover toppings with spaghetti sauce over pasta. Yes, it’s a little time consuming, but the flavor is totally worth it.
- Make the crust and stretch it to about 12 inches round onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Make the sauce
- Spread sauce on the crust, leaving about a one-inch border.
- Make the turkey and veggie topping mixture. Cook the turkey through, until well-done, 165ºF as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Cook the veggies until they are tender and spinach is wilted.
- Spread the topping mixture on the crust.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 450F for 10 to 12 minutes until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
Vegetarian option: Omit the turkey and use only veggies in the topping.
Greek Yogurt Pizza Crust
1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Mix ingredients in a bowl until it starts to come together and then knead it on a well-floured surface for about 8-10 minutes. Add in a little bit of flour at a time if the dough is too sticky. Form it into the pizza shape you want. I used a rolling pin on a floured cutting board to shape the dough. Place crust on an ungreased cookie sheet.
One-Minute Pizza Sauce
Scaled this recipe to use a 6-oz. can tomato paste.
6 ounce can organic tomato paste
1.5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 garlic clove, crushed
1.5 teaspoons organic onion powder
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Mix all the ingredients for the homemade pizza sauce together in a small glass bowl. Add water to thin the texture as needed to make the sauce spreadable.
Turkey and Veggie Topping
Olive oil or cooking spray
1 package (16 to 20 oz.) ground turkey
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
8 oz. box sliced mushrooms
1 cup baby spinach
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
Coat a skillet with oil or cooking spray. Brown the ground turkey with onion and garlic. Add the red pepper and mushroom; cook until veggies soften. Add spinach and seasoning; stir until spinach is wilted.
- Crust adapted from the Impatient Foodie blog
- Sauce adapted from the Healthy Home Economist blog. See her original post for instructions on making English Muffin pizzas with this sauce.
- Topping mixture adapted from the Jennie O site