Cook’s notes: I’ve been fascinated by small batch baking and reducing recipes for baked goods lately. Here are some notes I’ve found useful.
9 x 13-inch pan. Volume: 15 cups (24 to 36 cupcakes)
- Cut recipe in half and use an 8 x 8-inch square pan
- If recipe calls for 1 egg, use 1 egg (not 1/2 egg)
Square pan volume: 2 quarts or 8 cups (12 cupcakes)
- 9 x 9-inch square pan
- 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
- 8 x 8-inch square pan
For any of these, cut the recipe in half and use a 6 x 6-inch square pan.
Note that a bread recipe for a loaf pan can be baked in a square pan.
Round pan volume
- 9 x 2-inch round (8 cups): Also makes 12 cupcakes. Cut recipe in half and use a 6-inch round pan.
- 8 x 2-inch round pan (6 cups): Same as 75% of a 9-inch pan recipe.
- 6 x 2-inch round pan (4 cups): Makes 6 cupcakes.
Source: Includes Cake and Baking Pan Size Conversions – Allrecipes, http://www.thekitchn.com/halving-casseroles-tips-for-re-137981, http://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html, http://www.wilton.com/cms-batter-amounts.html, http://www.thekitchn.com/halving-casseroles-tips-for-re-137981