Cook’s notes: What goes with a turkey sandwich? I looked at several articles about bento box lunches to get inspired about side dishes to pack. I focused on healthy desserts and prioritizing vegetables. Keep it simple, by adding a vegetable serving, a fruit serving, and a treat: dark chocolate is definitely a theme. More entree ideas are listed after the table.
For a dipping sauce with veggies, make this creamy dressing from thekitchn.com: whisk together 1.5 Tablespoons mayo or plain Greek yogurt, 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt, sugar, and ground black pepper.
If you don’t want a turkey sandwich, pick any other entree with protein (20 to 60 g):
- beans and rice (1/2 cup each)
- black bean burrito on whole-wheat tortilla
- chicken (3 oz.)
- lunchmeat rolled up on a whole-wheat tortilla
- quiche, 1 slice
- quinoa and roasted veggies (1/2 cup each)
- salmon filet (3 oz.) with 1/2 cup brown rice
- sushi rolls
- tuna sandwich on whole-grain bread
- turkey kielbasa (3 oz.) or chicken sausage (3 oz.)
- turkey meatballs (3 oz.) with pasta (1/2 cup)
- veggie burger